Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: zenmap as root error

From: "João Medeiros" <ignotus21 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:29:14 -0300

You can just check if the DISPLAY environment variable is set. Like this:

----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------
import os
import sys

if 'DISPLAY' not in os.environ.keys():

    print "Unable to start graphical application. Please, set DISPLAY \
environment variable."
    sys.exit(0)

import gtk
----------------------------------------8<----------------------------------------

Put this before "import gtk" in zenmap main file to avoid some warnings too.

Att, João Medeiros.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:47:56PM -0300, eldraco wrote:
 > Hi Aaron,
 >
 > Hope this helps you. Perhaps you already think about this, but...
 > Try to set the DISPLAY variable before.
 >
 > If I don't set it before, I have the same output:
 >
 > #zenmap
 > Segmentation fault
 >
 > But after I set It, it works like a charm:

 Hm, thanks for the report.  Zenmap should give a proper error in that
 case, not segfault.  When I unset my display, I get a much more useful
 exception:

 RuntimeError: could not open display

 If anyone else gets the segmentation fault result described above and
 can find a fix, I'd be happy to integrate it.

 Cheers,
 -F