Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS detection problem

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 21:32:04 -0500

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM, sara fink <> wrote:
Hello David

Thanks for your help. I used the same nmap version. I didn't update
nmap at least few months.
I mainly use command line nmap.

If you recall, few months ago I asked you about detecting OS for the
same IP. Then nmap didn't recognize anything. I was suprised that this
time I got a result.

I hope that on sunday, I will get some answers. Cross fingers for me.
I will apply all my social engineering skills. ;-)

My version is nmap 4.6 from gentoo portage. 4.62.appears as non
stable, so I wait.

Sara

What do you get from: which -a nmap
or from: find / -type f -name nmap
?

Also, are any of the systems you are having problems with possibly
behind a load balancer or behind a NAT or firewall that would possibly
mangle the packets?

-Jason