Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nessus free version cancelled, now $1200/year

From: "Renaud Deraison (lists)" <deraison-lists () nessus org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:27:42 +0200

On May 22, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Fyodor wrote:

and qualifying
charitable organizations will get a free "Home Feed", which is the
same as our "Registered Feed" but without a seven day delay. We write
a plugin and it will be immediately available to every user. There is
nothing crippled about this ;

Your letter says the HomeFeed only contains plugin updates "for home
users", and your FAQ shows a chart showing categories of missing
plugins in the home feed (such as SCADA and compliance checks).  If
you only include the plugins you think are appropriate for home users,
that is a crippled feed compared to your paid feed which includes all
plugins.  You might be surprised by the sort of enterprise equipment
some of us have on our home networks :).

In terms of contents, we try to keep the two feeds as close from each
other as possible. The SCADA and Compliance/Contents Checks are two
notable exceptions, and frankly I doubt home users would use them :

- The compliance/contents checks are used for regulatory purposes
where you can prove to an auditor that every system on your network
matches a security policy you defined. This requires time to describe
your security policy into a format we call ".audit" files. More
information here : http://www.nessus.org/documentation/index.php?doc=compliance

- As for the SCADA checks, I hope you'll show me around your personal
power plant sometimes :)

For the rest, the home feed and professional feed contain the same
plugins.

The chart you are referring to is available at :

http://www.nessus.org/documentation/index.php?doc=faq#anchor54

It currently talks about our current offering (Direct vs Registered
Feed). When our policy change goes into effect on July 31st, the chart
will be updated to remove the 7 days delay. (also note that we greatly
improved the bandwidth for the registered feed, thus offering a good
quality of service to every user).

Have a good day,

                                -- Renaud