Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap/Zenmap 4.62-test8 packages for Mac OS X

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:31:49 -0600

Hello,

I have prepared the latest testing package of Nmap and Zenmap for
Mac OS X.

http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-4.62-test8.dmg (19.6 MB)

This release prompts for a password to enable running the application as
root. We had a discussion about different ways to do this at

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0353.html

The method I chose was method 1 from that thread, to just run the entire
application as root. This is in line with what happens on other
platforms. It requires no platform-specific changes to Zenmap itself,
and so will allow an official release to happen sooner. I was mistaken
before; this method still keeps files in the normal user's home
directory, but if creatd in privileged more they will be owned by root.
The method of privileged execution may change in the future, but I have
learned that Authorization Services was not designed for this kind of
use.

As an added bonus, the authorization wrapper is a compiled executable,
so it convinces the operating system that the application really is
universal. This may fix the problem Benson reported of not being able to
run the application on a PowerPC computer running Mac OS X 10.5.

David Fifield