Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: The difficulty of running Nmap with privileges on Mac OS X

From: Nathan <nathan.stocks () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 19:44:46 -0600

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM,  <bmenrigh () ucsd edu> wrote:

I like this option by far the best.  I think that shipping setuid
binaries is a bad idea, generally speaking, and I think that not killing
the nmap process when a tab is closed is better than shipping a setuid
binary.  What about some wrapper script that's not setuid, but that you
execute with AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges?  It could exec nmap and
output the pid to stdout or something.  Just a thought.

Benson

Or another hack: put a undocumented --pid option in Nmap so that Nmap
reports the PID on execution.

Or less hackishly, you could add the option as a supported, documented
feature.  I'd use it, as I tend to call nmap from scripts.  :-)

~ Nathan