Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Testing packages for Zenmap on Mac OS X now available

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 11:11:18 -0600

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:45:05AM -0700, bensonk () acm wwu edu wrote:
The installed nmap runs fine (but so did the one macports built for me,
so that wasn't an issue).  Zenmap, however, claims to not know how to
run on my architecture.  I captured a screenshot:
http://acm.wwu.edu/~bensonk/zenmap_error.png

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong, but I'm guessing it's just a typo or
something silly in an XML config file.

You may be right about that. What happens if you run

        /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/MacOS/zenmap

in a terminal?

I have a suspicion as to why this might be happening. If you look inside
Zenmap.app (control-click and select "Show Package Contents"), and "Get
Info" on the files in Contents/MacOS, you will see that "python" is a
"Unix Executable File (Universal)" while "zenmap" is just a "Unix
Executable File". ("zenmap.bin" is also a "Unix Executable File
(Universal)", but Finder shows it as a compressed archive because of its
extension.)

If you "Get Info" on Zenmap.app, you see that it's considered an
"Application", not an "Application (Universal)", perhaps because of the
supposedly non-universal "zenmap". "zenmap" is just a plain Python
script, no not architecture-dependent at all. I don't know why a G4 Mac
would assume it can't open it.

David Fifield