Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap ideas thrown around on IRC

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:38:07 -0700

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 05:25:36PM -0700, bensonk () acm wwu edu wrote:
May I suggest you log it somewhere official, so we could reference things?
I'll start hanging out in #nmap on EFnet once I figure out the easiest way
to get irssi to deal with handling multiple networks.

Yeah, if the channel users are OK with logging, and useful Nmap
development information or assitance/help with problems is discussed
in the chanel, it would be nice to get it online.  That way Google
could find it when people have similar problems, channel members could
point to the log when someone asks a question for the millionth time,
and those of us who very rarely IRC could read them.  Also, people who
see the logs might then be more likely to join the channel.

My thought is an #nmap IRC bot could be configured to email daily logs
to nmap-irc () insecure org.  That would be a list set up so that people
could subscribe, and would also be archived on insecure.org.  So you
could get your daily dose of IRC sent directly in your emailbox.
Maybe the logs could be edited for privacy (such as removing
IPs/hostnames).

So I think such logging could be valuable.  On the other hand, maybe
participants don't want logging.  If done, it would need to be clearly
disclosed to people who join the channel--maybe the topic could
include something like "logs posted to http://seclists.org/#nmap-irc";.

Cheers,
-F