Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Wont run....Help

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:36:59 -0000

Mike,

Do you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled? Vista comes with it enabled
by default (this is what lets IE7 run with Protected Mode on, for example).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

If so, you'll need to use an elevated Command Prompt (right click and "Run
as administrator") to run Nmap from the command line, or (this is the
easiest option) change a registry setting so WinPcap is loaded when Vista
starts up. Alternatively, you could disable UAC, but I wouldn't recommend
it.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q1/0195.html has some more detailed info
that you may find useful; the registry key info can be found here at
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-18 (try changing it to 2 instead of
3).

Regards,

Rob