Nmap Development mailing list archives

Inscrutable Winpcap error

From: "Mike Lude" <mlude () pacbell net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:28:53 -0700

I just today downloaded and installed the latest Windows binary of
ncap.

C:\PROGRA~1\Nmap> nmap --version
Nmap version 4.60 < http://insecure.org >

I try my first scan and get this:

C:\PROGRA~1\Nmap>nmap -p 2000-2031 -sS 192.168.155.22 --unprivileged
You requested a scan type which requires that WinPcap version 3.1 or
higher and iphlpapi.dll be installed. You seem to be missing one or
both of these. Winpcap is available from http://www.winpcap.org.
iphlpapi.dll comes with Win98 and later operating sytems and NT 4.0
with SP4 or greater.  For previous windows versi ons, you may be able
to take iphlpapi.dll from another system and place it in your
system32 dir (e.g. c:\windows\system32).
QUITTING!

I don't know how to check the level on Winpcap installed, but there
is a winpcap-nmap-4.02.exe in my nmap directory

I am running WinXP, SP2. What gives?