Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS X Question

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:53:15 -0600

Miles Matthias wrote:
I followed all of your instructions on your website to install NMAP
and it installed successfully on my Mac.  However, and this may seem
like a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find how to
actually execute the program through Terminal.  I've tried run, exec,
nmap, and sudo nmap - all of which result in a command not found.
And I'm in the directory to which I installed it.  Sorry for the
stupid question, but I've searched around and can't find an answer.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Hey Miles,

While being the in the installed directory, running './nmap' should work
(along with 'sudo ./nmap' too of course).  I've never used OS X before,
but this should work.

Just doing 'nmap' should work if you installed to a directory in $PATH,
so I'm assuming you installed it in your home directory or somewhere
similar.  You could add that directory to $PATH if you'd like.

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn