Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap from tarball on Mac OS X?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:57:54 -0800

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:30:47AM -0500, Daniel Johnson wrote:

Can someone here who has Zenmap working on their Mac send to this list
step-by-step instructions for installing and running Nmap and Zenmap,
starting with a tarball such as nmap-4.49RC4.tar.bz2?  I would like to
link to and/or summarize the instructions on the Nmap download page
and install guide.  Many Mac users will thank you.

I don't really have manual build instructions since I use Fink, but I
will have a Fink nmap package ready to go when 4.50 is released an I
intend to keep it up to date. Note that the latest version will
require using Fink's unstable tree, which isn't a big deal since
unstable is usually more stable than stable. :) Its page will be here:
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/nmap

Thanks for your notes!

If Fink/Makports/Opendarwin/whatever is the easiest way to get Zenmap
working, it is OK if the manual instructions include installing those.
But people might need to know exactly what dependencies they need to
install on Fink to get it to work.  And maybe there are other
questions they need to answer properly.  Or can they just install Fink
with the defaults and then download the Nmap/Zenmap tarball and run
them?  I'm hoping to get step-by-step instructions for installing
Zenmap on Mac with the level of detail you can see for command-line
Nmap compilation at:

http://insecure.org/nmap/install/inst-macosx.html

It would be nice to have instructions for installing it using the Fink
package, but if we want more developers it would be good to also have
instructions for getting Zenmap working from svn or the latest
tarball.

I was glad to see that you have an Nmap 4.50 source packages for the
unstable Fink distribution on Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 at
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/nmap .  I notice that there
is no binary distribution of 10.5.  Why is that?  It doesn't seem that
there is any binary distribution of Nmap for OS X 10.5, and the one
for 10.4 is Nmap 3.81 (released in Feb 2005).

Also, if someone wants to figure out how to create an Nmap/Zenmap
.app, that would be great.  Maybe it could be offered for Nmap 4.51!
We have a Python packaging system which is supposed to make the
creation of this sort of thing easy.

This won't be easy since Mac OS X is lacking many required
dependencies. :(

It may not be easy, but I'm hoping there are enough Mac fanatics that
someone will do it.  Windows doesn't come with even fewer dependencies
and we have an executable installer for that.

Cheers,
-F