Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Suspect that --host-timeout is not working in 4.50?

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:27:29 -0800

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:05:19PM -0800 or thereabouts, Fyodor wrote:
Yes, NSE (and all other parts of Nmap) need to enforce --host-timeout.
The scripts themselves don't need to worry about it--Nmap itself
should abandon probing a host when the timeout hits.  This doesn't
seem to be working for NSE, and that is an important bug which needs
to be fixed.

The attached patch seems to fix it for me. Can anybody confirm?
Oh, and the patch removes the minimum time check for the
--host-timeout option (but still gives a warning if it is
below 15 seconds). It is helpful for testing and I think
might also be good for the official version. Is there any
reason for it or is it just an arbitrary limit? I've never
liked limits. :)

Best,

Doug