Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [BUG]? Unrecognized option --resume

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:17:59 -0000 (UTC)

Morning,

Nmap is giving me a error when I am trying to use the --resume option.

I get a different error to you...

nmap xxx.xxx.xx.xx -P0 -vv -oN testresume

Starting Nmap 4.49RC7 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-12-11 09:06 GMT
Standard Time
Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 09:06
Scanning xxx.xxx.xx.xx [1 port]
Completed ARP Ping Scan at 09:06, 0.25s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:06
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 09:06, 0.01s elapsed
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 09:06
Scanning xxx.xxx.xx.xx [1711 ports]
Discovered open port 3389/tcp on xxx.xxx.xx.xx
^C
more testresume
# Nmap 4.49RC7 scan initiated Tue Dec 11 09:06:02 2007 as: nmap -P0 -vv
-oN test
resume xxx.xxx.xx.xx

nmap --resume testresume
..\utils.cc(996): CreateFileMapping(), file 'testresume', length 103,
mflags 000
00006: The parameter is incorrect.
 (87)

This occured on 4.11 (tested on XP) and 4.20 (tested on Vista) too,

AgentSmith15, if you use --resume the only other argument you can pass is
the name of the output file.

"if normal (-oN) or grepable (-oG) logs were kept, the user can ask Nmap
to resume scanning with the target it was working on when execution
ceased. Simply specify the --resume option and pass the normal/grepable
output file as its argument. No other arguments are permitted, as Nmap
parses the output file to use the same ones specified previously"

http://insecure.org/nmap/man/man-output.html

Hopefully running:

nmap --resume scandata

Should give you more luck (the error message you're seeing isn't exactly
very useful), but I suspect you might hit the same error I've just seen.

Is it possible that it's dying because the output file only contains the
nmap command, and there isn't any other output in the file to work out
where to resume from?

Rob