Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Bug]? Script Directories 4.23RC3 on MSWin32

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:25:35 +0000

Fyodor wrote:
On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 03:31:19PM +0000, jah wrote:

David Fifield wrote:

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:51:40PM +0000, jah wrote:

The only other question remaining is that given that nmap will use
scripts from it's default script dir in addition to scripts at any
supplied paths, should it fail to do any script scanning if the supplied
path is in some way incorrect?  Or should it indeed not even use it's
default scripts if alternative ones are supplied?

If you specify a directory explicitly, I think Nmap should only use
scripts from that directory.  And that what happened when I just
tested with RC6 on Linux and Windows.  Are you sure Nmap is running
scripts from the default scripts dir when you pass a custom --script
directory?  Can you give us the details to reproduce this?

I wasn't very clear when I said default scripts, I meant those from the
version category.
A scan such as the following against a windows machine will (assuming
portrules true) run netbios-smb-os-discovery.nse:

    nmap 192.168.1.1 -sSV -p139,445 -n -PN -d --script-trace --script
    myscripts
    SCRIPT ENGINE: Will run C:\Program
    Files\Nmap\scripts\netbios-smb-os-discovery.nse against 192.168.1.1
    Host script results:
    |_ Discover OS Version over NetBIOS and SMB: Windows XP

but specifiying, incorrectly, a script or dir will cause script scanning
to abort

    nmap 192.168.1.1 -sSV -p139,445 -n -PN -d --script-trace --script
    garbage
    SCRIPT ENGINE: No such category, file or directory: 'garbage'
    SCRIPT ENGINE: Script scanning completed.
    SCRIPT ENGINE: Aborting script scan.

I wondered if this was a fault because I'm of the opinion that the
garbage shouldn't cause the abortion.

jah