Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Nmap 4.23RC3 released

From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram () nc rr com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:49:05 -0500

I am also running vista, and here's what happened for me. I do have the
latest winpcap and all that. I get the same output if I run as administrator
or not.

Command:

nmap -sS 192.168.1.1 > out 2> err

standard out:

***

Starting Nmap 4.23RC3 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-11-28 17:44 Eastern
Standard Time

***

standard error:

***

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 71 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 71 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 131 to "net".

_ifcombo_name: Mapping unknown interface type 1 to "net".

pcap_open_live(net0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening
adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait 5
seconds then retry.
pcap_open_live(net0, 100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening
adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait 25
seconds then retry.
Call to pcap_open_live(net0, 100, 0, 2) failed three times. Reported error:
Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20)
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating
system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe af_packet
or recompile your kernel with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile your
kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter support.  If you are getting No such file
or directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use
mknod).
*WINDOWS:  Nmap only supports ethernet interfaces on Windows for most
operations because Microsoft disabled raw sockets as of Windows XP SP2.
Depending on the reason for this error, it is possible that the
--unprivileged command-line argument will help.
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No such
file or directory', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris can support
advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "-PN -sT localhost" though.

QUITTING!

***

Anything else I can do?

Take care,