Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 4.22SOC6 Crash With Connect() Scan

From: majek04 <majek04+nmap-dev () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:41:40 +0200

On 9/13/07, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 05:37:24PM +0100, Rob Nicholls wrote:
I finally got around to testing the new 4.22SOC6 win32 binary (using the
zip file) and spotted that it crashed when I asked it to perform a
Connect() Scan.

I was able to reproduce this on Windows XP, both the "Unknown error" and
the crash. I'll investigate it and let you know what I find.

The big change between 4.22SOC5 and 4.22SOC6 was the massping migration,
which changes the way host discovery is done. That shouldn't affect port
scans, but you never know.

I was also able to reproduce this bug. It crashes during connect scan,
in scan_engine.cc:3050 in

static bool do_one_select_round(UltraScanInfo *USI, struct timeval *stime)
[...]
  for(hostI = USI->incompleteHosts.begin();
      hostI != USI->completedHosts.end() && numGoodSD < selectres; hostI++) {
[...]

It seems that one of the lists is corrupted (I bet USI->incompleteHosts).
I also think that the bug was introduced with 4.22SOC6.
(and there were changes to do_one_select_round between SOC5 and SOC6)

MM.