Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: --min-parallelism sets max parallelism too

From: "Kris Katterjohn" <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 10:20:54 -0500

On 9/2/07, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

Well, there is also this line above that:

  if (max_parallelism && min_parallelism && (min_parallelism >
max_parallelism)) {
    fatal("--min-parallelism=%i must be less than or equal to
--max-parallelism=%i",min_parallelism,max_parallelism);

So if they are both set, and min > max, then it bails.

But otherwise, max = min because you need to have max >= min and (I
guess)
you can't really gauge how much the user wants for a max.

Right, but when I set --min-parallelism, I expect the parallelism to
actually be able to increase above the minimum.

We can just use the convention that 0 for min_parallelism and
max_parallelism means "unset". The other parts of the code already work
that way. ultra_scan, for example, uses 300 for the maximum congestion
window if o.max_parallelism is 0.

Or else we could just initialize the maximum to be something huge like
100000, like what is already done with o.max_host_group_sz.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Like I said, I only mainly use the timing templates and I wasn't sure how
everything works internally, but that looks like a really good idea.

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn