Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: EACCES on connect

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:04:28 -0600

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:02:47AM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:48:15AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
I suspect that his OS (Mac OS X) is not allowing him to ping broadcast
addresses and connect is returning EACCES. Is this right, or has anyone
else seen this? If so, we should add a case for EACCES and not mark the
host up.

Yes, I think that is somewhast common.  My Linux box gives a different
error ("Network is unreachable").  I agree the we should add a case
for EACCES and not mark the host up.  Ideally we should avoid this
probe being retransmitted too.  If there are probes to other ports, it
might be best if we can keep those just in case only this one port is
blocked (e.g. the machine may be configured to block outgoing requests
to ports such as 25).  And if those other probes are similarly
blocked, they should go super quick.  Obviously timing should not be
updated based on these.  If it is easier just to mark the whole target
IP as down when you see the EACCESS, that is OK with me too.  In the
vast majority of cases, the IP will end up being marked as down
anyway, I imagine.

Okay. The host is marked down. Any other outstanding probes will still
be processed, but no more probes will be sent.

David Fifield