Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: massping migration and you

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:45:01 -0600

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 06:25:49PM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
Hi nmap-dev,

Recently checked in to /nmap is the result of almost two months of work
known as the "massping migration". These changes make Nmap use its
port-scanning function ultra_scan for discovering which hosts are up
instead of an old special-purpose function called massping.

Hey David, I've been testing it out and it seems to work great!

My only issue is that I virtually always run Nmap with debugging (just
one -d), because I like to see what's happening.  However, your massping
stuff spews TONS of stuff onto the screen about moving hosts to
completed list with however many outstanding probes, and
ultrascan_host_probe_update listing the machine and state.

Is there any way you can make these come up only with higher debugging
levels like -d2 or -d3?  This isn't just because "I like it", but
because it really is a lot of lines being printed and usually that kind
of stuff is printed only with higher debug levels.

Okay, I've increased the threshold for some of the messages. Go ahead
and change any others that you think are inappropriate.

Thanks for giving it a try!

David Fifield