Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RPC scan crashes LAN

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:14:18 -0500

On 8/21/07, Nathan E. Banks  wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been using nmap on my own home LAN for a while, and recently was
using it to help a friend configure his network. We discovered that his
router crashes whenever nmap tries to RPC scan it, either directly, or
as a part of version detection. I did some googling last night and
couldn't find anyone else who was experiencing it. The router is a
Linksys WRT54G, I am scanning from an internal machine on his LAN
running Ubuntu linux. If anyone can give me an idea why this might be
happening, I would appreciate it.

--
Nathan Banks
ICQ 34492883

--
"Paganini avoids mediocrity in everything."
                - Nicolo Paganini

Have you tried the usual suspect: upgrading the firmware on the router?

Other than that, try running nmap with the debug and packet trace
options turned on to see if you can figure out exactly what packet
combo is crashing the router.

Another bit of info that might help the folks on the list is what
version of nmap you are running.

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese