Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ftp-client does not work after installing Nmap 4.20

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:00:13 -0500

On 8/21/07, Dirk Herroelen  wrote:
Hello,

Since installing nmap 4.20, the windows ftp-client does not work like
before: I get "425 can't build data connection: connection refused" when
connecting to my local linux-box... I found some explanations on the web,
but maybe there's a entry in the registry that was modified by installing
Nmap/WinPcap ? Also after uninstalling, it still does not work.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Dirk Herroelen
Brussels - Belgium

I cannot speak for version 4.20 as I have one of the SOC builds installed.

But, there are some registry tweaks that nmap makes.  I have a file
called nmap_performance.reg in my nmap directory with these entries:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"MaxUserPort"=dword:0000fffe
"TcpTimedWaitDelay"=dword:0000001e
"StrictTimeWaitSeqCheck"=dword:00000001

You can check your Windows registry and see if those are set to these
values.  I have no idea what the default values are.  Also, I have
never had a problem like that with my Windows built-in FTP client.  Of
course, I don't use it very often because my Internet access is
through a proxy server and the built-in client doesn't support that.

I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable about the install /
uninstall procedure can give you better guidance, but it had been 9
hours since you asked and I didn't want you to get frustrated.

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese