Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: A few windows changes

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 14:29:03 -0700

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 11:54:22AM +0100, Eddie Bell wrote:
I already added the winpcap update to my list because I saw it
involved a security fix! but I will take a look at the versioning
problem as well. If it is relatively simple to do I'll get it
committed today.

Great - I see that you already made the updates in the SoC SVN.  It is
a little bit of a shame to be hardcoding the Winpcap version number,
but you make a great point that it already needs to be changed
manually in other places in the file.  So it isn't much of an added
burden.

Speaking of WinPcap upgrading, would you write up a file detailing
everything you need to do for a WinPcap upgrade?  I should have
suggested this before you did the upgrade so you could take notes
during the process.  But I think by looking at your CVS checkins you
should pretty easily be able to ensure that you don't miss any of the
parts which need changing.  The instructions should then be checked in
to SNV.  I think
/nmap-exp/soc07/nmap/mswin32/winpcap/Upgrading-Instructions.txt would
be a good place.  This will make it a lot easier for you or whoever
else does the next WinPcap upgrade.

Also, I see that the new system requires a line like:

StrCpy $my_ver "4.0.0.901"

The document should explain the easiest way to get that number.  It
also seems a little strange that WinPcap 4.0.1 would use the version
number 4.0.0.901 .

Thanks!
Fyodor