Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] HTTP probe for /etc/passwd

From: Gaveen Prabhasara <gaveens () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:27:12 +0530

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 12:06 -0300, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:

Gaveen Prabhasara wrote:
Maybe we could add a function to NSE lib to call version detection
explicitly by the script developer.

Scripts shouldn't be able to alter how nmap was called by the user. I believe it should make a
suggestion, but never alter what the user requested nmap to do.

I agree to the fact that how nmap invoked shouldn't be affected by
scripts. At any rate no one wants nmap to make unautherised noise.

I was just mentioning a suggestion where we could use such a
function. For example lets consider this directory traversal script.
If the simple portrule specifies to check tcp ports 80, 8080 for
http servers. It's required. But whenever someone choose to run
an http server bound to a bizzare port like 1234 as Brendon
suggested or something like tcp 25, the result wouldn't be good.
I believe that's what Fyodor also meant earlier in the thread.