Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: DNS resolver for NSE

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:39:38 -0700

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:55:54PM +0200 or thereabouts, Diman Todorov wrote:
As far as I remember your DNS resolver does use nsock. Providing
hooks between your resolver and NSE does pose a challenge but I don't
see how it would block the whole Nmap process. After all the whole
point of using nsock is to have parallelized network I/O.

Good point. nmap_dns.cc does use nsock and could have some of its
functionality available to NSE scripts if it was refactored a little.
The biggest problems are that it wants its own nsock loop and that it
only does reverse DNS.

oh contrair. The garbage collection in Lua is quite flexible. In fact
stoiko extended it to collect and close open but unneeded nsockets. I
am not familiar with weak hash tables but are they something like
this http://lua-users.org/wiki/WeakTablesTutorial ?

I'm sorry, I was wrong. After reading those wiki links you pasted I
realise that Lua offers more gc control than I thought. Oh well,
as the french say, ploo suh change. :)

And what exactly
do you mean by a 'real format function' anyway?

I mean a format function that can be macro compiled to CODE instead
of just a function call to an interpreter (ala printf and lua's
format). Also, one that offered even 1/10th of the features of CL's
format could be considered "real".

Speaking of Lua macros, I thought about adding at least a simple
macro system to NSE but I decided against it.

As much as I love macros, I must say I am AGAINST adding macros to
a language with signifigant syntax like Lua. Macros only work once
you've ELIMINATED syntax, and once you've eliminated syntax you have
lisp. :)

Best,

Doug