Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SoC Idea: Pcap compatible output for received packets

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:35:06 -0500

Justin Knox wrote:
Kris, I really like that idea. Would it be possible to record the
packets sent by the scanning host as well? Seems like when using a
connect() scan this might not be possible, but if we're doing SYN or
other where the pcap library is being used already...

capture filter for inbound packets would be your target host's IP (or
any hosts you're bouncing from...)

Wow. I'm interested to see what others have to say ;)
--Justin

Hmm... I was thinking about doing it a different way, but you saying
that made me think differently.

The existing pcap filters currently basically limit it to incoming
packets from our targets.  I suppose I could change it so that we can
get our sent ones as well.  But that might mean a couple of things:

1) We get too much traffic and it slows the scans down because we have
to process them all

2) The pcap filters (or code creating them) get overly complicated and
mistakes are made

But hopefully not :) I'll see if I can write up a fairly simple patch.

Thanks!,
Kris Katterjohn