Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: where to start from

From: Kantor Zsolt <kantorzsolt () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 00:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

I think that at first it would be a good idea to learn  socket programming (how to create a raw ICMP , data gram
packets . . . ) because that's the key of nmap.
The tools can vary from simple to  complex .I prefer  gedit (a simple text editor,but with some enhancements for
programming) when writing some  code,abd the terminal to execute  the  app.If  you  prefer IDE's  you can  use KDevelop
for C/C++  (www.kdevelop.org) or Anjuta (www.anjuta.org) or Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) or gbuilder ,but I think it is
outdated.I think that at the beginning you better write simple client/server programs to understand better the socket
programming.Don't dive directly into nmap source. Good luck  ! ;-)