Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: I keep getting an error using nmap on vista.

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:14:10 -0500

On 4/24/07, Ethan Hunt  wrote:
I keep a error scanning with nmap on vista heres the error:

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2007-04-25 00:05
Pacif
Daylight Time
getinterfaces: intf_loop() failed
QUITTING!

Thats for every scan type....

You are running an older version.  The latest stable is 4.20.

Which has this:
Fixed (I hope) the "getinterfaces: intf_loop() failed" error which
  was seen on Windows Vista. The problem was apparently in
  intf-win32.c of libdnet (need to define MIB_IF_TYPE_MAX to
  MAX_IF_TYPE rather than 32). Thanks to Dan Griffin
  (dan(a)jwsecure.com) for tracking this down! If anyone still has
  trouble running Nmap on Vista, please let us know.

Give it a try http://insecure.org/nmap/download.html and see if it
fixes your issues.

-Jason