Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: what trickery can nmap take 20 hours to scan 1 host!!

From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh () linux01 gwdg de>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:19:16 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

On Apr 23 2007 10:14, Hari Sekhon wrote:

thanks for your replies guys, I am aware of timing setting, I usually
use -T4 locally but leave -T3 for cross internet.

I had a peak at the that url regarding chaos tables. It looks
interesting but it doesn't explain how it foils port scanners.

http://jengelh.hopto.org/p/chaostables/fw.html#se7
Section 7, I quote myself: "When the rate limit kicks in, nmap
throttles its scan timing to accomodate for this to not lose scan
result accuracy."

Also, isn't nmap just supposed to give up and move on to the next
port if it doesn't get a response? If it does get a response then it
should move straight on to the next port since it doesn't need to
reply,

With increased -T n, yes, it moves on quicker -
but at the cost of missing late packets.

That is correct. But xt_CHAOS(!) returns something (using
DELUDE/TARPIT) *sometimes*, and sometimes *not*, making nmap wait on
roughly 98% of all ports (by default) [and giving back false results
for the other 1-2%].
xt_DELUDE or ipt_TARPIT alone do not slow it, as you noticed:

therefore tarpit persist tricks don't work (I know I've tried
scanning a tarpit of mine I scanned all 65535 ports in seconds cos
the time wasting packets were ignored in the syn scan)

I'm still at a bit of a loss here.

I suppose it's possible that a bot ridden computer didn't have the
resources to respond, but I would still expect nmap to move on after a
little time, hence it should never take 20 hours to scan 1 host...

-h

Hari Sekhon

Jan