Nmap Development mailing list archives

Penis picture is now a DMCA violation!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 02:26:30 -0800

Remember the guy yesterday who threatened to report me and my ISP to
the FBI unless a small picture of a penis was removed from the
fulldisclosure archive[1]?  Since I don't particularly want a penis
picture on my site anyway, I responded to him stating that I would
remove it if he either provides evidence for his contention that the
subject is a minor, or if he just asks nicely for it to be removed.

I'm still stunned by what happened next ...

Today he[2] sent a DMCA takedown notice to abuse@[various domains],
claiming that the picture violates his copyrights.  So wait a minute
... yesterday the image was revolting and illegal kiddie porn worthy
of FBI enforcement, and today he is the copyright holder for the photo
and entitled to "$150,000 for each infringement"?!!

What a loon!

This seems to all be coming from Michael Crook, who is so notorious
for sending bogus DMCA takedown notices that the EFF is suing him for
it[3].  There is also a good background article about his antics on
BoingBoing[4] (he sent them a DMCA takedown for the image of his face
on top of that page).

The takedown letter is signed "Scott Delaney", but that isn't fooling
anyone.  He forgot to change the 2nd paragraph which talks about
"infringements against Michael Crook".  And he tried to cleanse an
email address near the end, but screwed up.

A Google search shows this guy has tons of enemies, so I thought
perhaps this was a forgery by someone wanting to frame Michael.  After
all, it seems unbelievable that anyone could be *this stupid*!  I
tried calling the phone number in the notice and just got voice mail
with no ID.  But from the mail headers, it looks to be legitimately
from 'evilandmean () gmail com' (sounds like such a nice fellow!), and a
Google on that shows that Michael seems to control the address.  So I
think this really IS from Michael and he actually IS this dumb.

Michael:  I hope the EFF lawyers skewer you!

-Fyodor

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q1/0059.html
[2] Well, a different gmail acct., but seems like the same guy
[3] http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2006_11.php#004976
[4] http://www.boingboing.net/2006/11/02/michael_crook_sends_.html

----- Forwarded message from BC <evilandmean () gmail com> -----