Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Parsing Nmap

From: "Brandon Enright" <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:50:34 -0000 (UTC)

J. Perrymon wrote:
Hey Guys,

What do you suggest is the best method for parsing nmap into a html
or other "report ready" formats?

I have it working with the nmap XML stylesheet but I can't seem to
import that into word properly. As I paste the data in from the xml is
 doesn't keep any of the formatting.

The XSL transform file you are refering to renders the XML file nicely
in browser memory.  You can use a stand-alone tool to actually
transfrom the XML into HTML file.

If you are using Windows you probably want to use the Microsoft
provided tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FB55371-C94E-4373-B0E9-DB4816552E41&displaylang=en

If you are using Linux/Unix there are a whole bunch of different tools
to do the job.

Ultimately, I would like to parse nmap data into a nice format for
putting into word or even an SQL database. Should I look at importing
xml directly into SQL?

Creating an SQL schema that captures the essence of Nmap XML data in a
useful and easily queryable structure is non-trivial.  You may want to
look into projects that have allready done most of the hard work for
you (PBNJ, http://insecure.org/nmap/SoC/HostedScan.html, etc).

Cheers,

JP

Brandon