Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SoC 2007 application

From: "Duilio Protti" <dprotti () fceia unr edu ar>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:50:33 -0300 (ART)

Diman Todorov wrote:
About the project to work in, I have posted some ideas about the NSE
infrastructure and I have others in mind, like i.e. the standalone NSE
interpreter, at least for the autotools-related part.
By 'functional programming facilities' I meant things like map,
apply, car, cdr, cons etc. I was thinking that http://lua-users.org/
wiki/ListOperations could be used as a starting point and be extended
to be something like the Prelude in Haskell. Comprehensions are not
exactly a conventional part of the functional programming paradigm ;)

That's true. However, observe that if you have map, filter and the
possibility of binding variables, you can implement comprehensions lists
with that.

And just as a side note, hacking the Lua interpreter coming with NSE
is not desirable. If we stay with the vanilla sources of Lua it is a
lot easier to upgrade to newer Lua versions as they come.
Unfortunately there is no other sufficiently straightforward method
to modify the NSE syntax (yet). This is also the reason why the
bitwise operators in NSE come as a lib and not as operators ;)

Thanks! I see a bigger picture now. As you have probably seen, finally I
don't apply for SoC 2007, due to the lack of time to prepare a good
project proposal as Nmap deserves. However, I keep in contact with the
project in nmap-dev list.

Keep the good work!

Cheers,
Duilio Protti.