Nmap Development mailing list archives

Compile problems under Slax with Nmap

From: "Rodman" <rodman () thefrowerts com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:34:42 -0600

Hello,

Trying to install the latest version of Nmap but seem to be having some problems.  I already have version 4.10
installed on my system but want to upgrade.  The "./configure" ends properly creating a makefile but not without first
displaying:

------------------
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... *** GTK+ header files (version 2.8.17) do not match *** library (version
2.8.19)
no
configure: WARNING:  NMAPFE WILL NOT BE BUILT -- BUT NMAP SHOULD STILL WORK
-----------------

So, ok, I won't have a graphical front end. Big deal.  So I do a "make" on it and I get this before the make file
errors out:

------------
Your system does not appear to have GTK (www.gtk.org) installed).  Thus the Nmap X Front End will not compile.  You
should still be able to use Nmap the normal way (via the text console). GUIs are for wimps anyway :)
make[1]: *** [nmapfe.o] Error 1
make[1]: (much removed content)
make: *** [nmapfe/nmapfe] Error 2

I know I have GTK+ installed.  It comes loaded in Slax and I use wireshark quite a bit and wireshark won't work without
GTK.  I know from past experience that installing a new version of GTK+ is a total pain in the ass.  So I guess I need
some help here.  What seems to be the problem?  Is there anyway to just use nmap without the frontend. I don't mind the
console.  I just want to get the darn thing upgraded to the newest version.  Can I disable the make file from trying to
build the frontend?

Thanks!

Rodman