Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Error running nmap on Vista.

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:54:27 -0800

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:00:58PM -0800, Scott Owen ONEIL wrote:

I've been through the troubleshooting guide, and I've done some Googling,
but I don't see a solution to this one.  I'm running Vista (RC2, x86), and
I've tried installing 4.11 and 4.20A.  I get the same result:

C:\Program Files\Nmap>nmap -v localhost

Starting Nmap 4.20ALPHA10 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2006-10-31 11:49 Pacific Standard Time
getinterfaces: intf_loop() failed
QUITTING!

Thanks for the report.  As others have noted, you cannot scan
localhost with Nmap using a default SYN scan.  But Nmap is supposed to
give you an error like this:

c:\> nmap.exe -v localhost

Starting Nmap 4.20ALPHA10 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2006-11-01 23:03 Pacific Standard Time
Skipping SYN Stealth Scan against localhost (127.0.0.1) because Windows does not support scanning your own machine
(localhost) this way.

So your Vista problem may be something different.  Do you have an
ethernet interface on the machines?  What happens when you scan other
machines on the network?

Would you send the results of "nmap --iflist" and "nmap -d4 -sP
--packet-trace scanme.nmap.org" to me or the list?  You can change
your IP addresses/hostnames to things like "sourceIP" for privacy.

Also, is Nmap on Vista (release candidate) working for other people
here?  I've been assuming Nmap works because I haven't heard
complaints, but maybe people just haven't been trying it?  I'd hate
for this to just take us by surprise like WinXP SP2 did.

Cheers,
Fyodor

Any thoughts?

      -Scott