Nmap Development mailing list archives

XML OS fingerprint output question - futher information

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:41:33 -0600

I am sorry, I neglected to add the following information
to the previous email.

Example command line:   nmap -O2  -F -sSU  <targetip>

Result:                 Text indicating no exact OS match found,
                        fingerprint printed to StdOut.

Example command line:   nmap -O2 -F -sSU -oX test.xml <targetip>

Result:                 Text indicating no exact OS match found,
                        fingerprint printed to StdOut.
                        An osclass entry in the XML output, 86% in
                        this case.  No OS fingerprint output in the
                        XML.

Further digging in output.cc shows that line 1410 may be
responsible for printing the fingerprint to StdOut if
version 2 of the OS fingerprinting is used, regardless if
verbose or debugging output is requested.  Should the log_write
entry be changed to include output to LOG_XML?  It is already
written to LOG_NORMAL, LOG_SKID_NOXLT and LOG_STDOUT.

Please correct me if I am reading the code incorrectly.

Tom Sellers