Nmap Development mailing list archives

Legal threats from FTPPro

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:32:23 -0800

Pardon the off-topic post, but I felt this should be recorded in the
archives.

FTPPro sent me the appended email demanding that I remove a Bugtraq
posting from 2000 or "provide the contact information for [my] legal
department".  Ironically, the message they demand I remove is a bogus
legal threat that they sent to someone else!  They threatened an FTP
server admin with DMCA violation because they think one of his users
connected with an improperly registered version of their FTP client!
Apparently their FTP software secretly sent users' login information
(at least the username and server IP) back to FTPPro corporation.

FTPPro does not dispute the factual accuracy of the original email.
Instead they say I should remove the email because it is
"un-American".

Anyway, here is the message they are complaining about:

http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2000/Jan/0419.html

And here is the "response" they sent back then, demanding that Bugtraq
"immediately remove FTPPro from your Newsgroup/Mailing List
distribution":

http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2000/Feb/0037.html

And here is their new message to me: