Nmap Development mailing list archives

Failed to open device eth1

From: "nonlin" <nonlin () erols com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:53:55 -0800

Dear Sir,

    I am experimenting with your nmap for the first time and I am trying to use your example 'nmap -A -T4
scanme.nmap.org'. but I am getting an error 'dnet: Failed to open device eth1'.

    I thought I might have had the wrong device. because when I was playing with windump and it didn't work ether,
until I figured out that I need to add the -i 2 switch to it. which meant 'use 2.lne100v5'.

So I get the list from you program:

nmap --iflist
DEV      IP/Mask
lo0      127.0.01/8
eth0     (null)/0
eth1     192.168.1.103/24

Dst/mask           dev  gateway
192.168.1.103/32   lo0  127.0.0.1
192.168.1.255/32   eth1 192.168.1.103
255.255.255.255/32 eth1 192.168.1.103
192.168.1.0/0      eth1 192.168.1.103
127.0.0.0/0        lo0  127.0.0.1
224.0.0.0/0        eth1 192.168.1.103
0.0.0.0/0          eth1 192.168.1.1

and I tried lo0, eth0 and eth1. But I think your program has got it right, So what is possibly blocking it?

just for a little more refence,
I am using:
Win 98
WinPcap 3.1 was installed by Win Dump.
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Lan Card LNE100TX
Linksys BEFSX41 Router that leeds to the internet

Sincerely,