Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap question

From: "Julien Delange" <julien.delange () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 19:49:39 +0200

2006/10/4, John P. Wilson <jpw () creare com>:
I am a n00b, and hope you could help with a quick question:  what is the
difference between a timeout and scan-delay?  I am guessing that timeout
is the delay used before retransmitting to the same port and scan-delay
is the delay when you are finished investigating one port before
scanning the next port?

In fact,the scan-delay is used to wait between each connexion on a
port. For example, if you probe the port 1, you will wait a fixed time
before probing the port 2. The timeout is the time you wait before
consider the port as inaccessible. It is not the same thing : in the
first example, the ports are accessible and in the second, they are
not.

Moreover, you can get more informations in the manpage.

Cheers,