Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.11 core dump on Solaris 10

From: "Eric Smith" <ericmsmith () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:31:39 -0500

Hello,

I have a problem regarding Nmap 4.11 on a Solaris 10 system. Nmap works
great when scanning other remote networks. However, I am seeing a problem
when Nmap performs a scan on it's own local network. The output from a
simple pingsweep is below:

# /usr/local/bin/nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-11-15 16:14 EST

Assertion failed: 0, file scan_engine.cc, line 1684

Abort (core dumped)

I get this result no matter what I modify in the Nmap scan configuration. I
have even tried the following:

*       Turn timing down to T0
*       Use -exclude option to exclude the Nmap scanner's physical IP
*       Tried on 2 other default Solaris 10 installs - same outcome
*       Use an ipfile (-iL) and not include the scanner's IP address in the
list
*       Install a version of libpcap on Solaris
*       Use a CIDR notation like a /25 which eliminates the scanner's IP in
the range - still same problem

Something is occurring when the Nmap scanner performs a scan on it's own
local network and it results in a core dump. I have analyzed the core dump
file, no help there. I have also done a snoop on the interface to see what
happens when the dump occurs and nothing stands out to me either.

I am in the process of trying 3.93 to see if it has the same outcome, but as
of right now the precompiled Nmap package from www.sunfreeware.com
<http://www.sunfreeware.com/>  is having this problem, as well as a compiled
install of 4.11 on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.