Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: I use ppp over ethernet

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 09:49:28 -0400

I am taking a wild guess here, but if you are required to run PPPoE
software on your machine, don't, and don't connect your modem directly
to your computer, especially not by USB.  By having a PPP device as
your default route, it is going to mess up winpcap.

0.0.0.0/0          ppp0 59.93.247.46

One fix - buy a cheap home router that has built in PPPoE software.

That way your connection will look like this.

Modem -> PPPoE -> Router -> Ethernet -> XP SP2

That way, winpcap gets plain ethernet.

If your setup is already like this, we can trouble shoot more.

cheers,
  kx