Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.20ALPHA8: OS DB still growing!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:25:08 -0700

Hi Everyone.  I am pleased to announce Nmap 4.20ALPHA8, which has more
OS signatures and other improvements.  Here is how the OS2 DB is doing
comparatively:

Synscan (0.1): 25 signatures
Nmap Gen2 (4.20ALPHA8): 56 signatures
SinFP (2.02): about 100 signatures
Xprobe2 (0.3): 225 signatures
Nmap Gen1 (4.20ALPHA8): 1,680 signatures

As you can see, we're making good progress, but still have a way to
go.  Once we get a critical mass of maybe 200 signatures, I don't
think we'll have to worry about it so much any more.

So please keep those submissions coming!

Besides submitting new signatures, corrections are also quite helpful.
I have added fingerprint correction instructions (it is very easy) to
http://insecure.org/nmap/submit/ .

Here are the changes in 4.20ALPHA8:

o Integrated the newly submitted OS fingerprints.  The DB now contains
  56, up 33% from 42 in ALPHA7.  Please keep them coming!  We still only
  have 3.33% as many signatures as the gen1 database.

o Nmap 2nd generation OS detection now has a more sophisticated
  mechanism for guessing a target OS when there is no exact match in the
  database (see http://insecure.org/nmap/osdetect/osdetect-guess.html )

o Rewrote mswin32/nmap.rc to remove cruft and hopefully reduce some
  MFC-related compilation problems we've seen.  Thanks to KX
  (kxmail(a)gmail.com) for doing this.

o NmapFE now uses a spin button for verbosity and debugging options so
  that you can specify whatever verbosity (-v) or debugging (-d) level
  you desire.  The --randomize-hosts option was also added to NmapFE.
  Thanks to Kris Katterjohn for the patches.

o A dozen or so small patches to Nmap and NmapFE by Kris Katterjohn.

o Removed libpcap/Win32 and libpcap/msdos as Nmap doesn't use them.
  This reduces the Nmap tar.bz2 by about 50K.  Thanks to Kris Katterjohn
  for the suggestion.

And here are the goods:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA8-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.20ALPHA8-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA8.tgz

Please let nmap-dev know if you encounter any problems!

Cheers,
Fyodor