Nmap Development mailing list archives

Experimental New Nmap Scan: Qscan

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:15:13 -0700

Hi nmap-dev!

Well the Summer of Code has officially ended! It was a great
summer and I think we all made a lot of progress. Judging by
the activity, everyone on this list is excited about many of
the SoC projects, including NSE, the proxy scanning code,
etc, etc.

It's great that people are already writing and submitting NSE
scripts! I've looked at almost all of them and I have to say
good work to everyone! Right now I think everybody (especially
Fyodor) is very busy wrapping up SoC projects and the like but
rest assured that we're all very pleased and impressed with the
NSE scripts so far! Keep em coming!

I'd like to present an experimental new Nmap scan, which
I'm tentatively titling "Qscan" which has potential in mapping
firewalls, link connections, and more. The Qscan was a personal
project that the SoC program allowed me to pursue and I'm
very grateful to Google and Fyodor for the opportunity to
do so.

This project was mostly born out of my own curiosity. I wanted
to see if it was possible and how useful it would be in the
real world. Well I'm pleased to discover that it is definitley
possible but that its practicality in the real world is, of
course, still to be determined.

You can read more about it and try the experimental patch
by downloading the 2 attached files:

QSCAN - A README file describing theory and usage of Qscan.

nmap-4.20ALPHA4-qscan.patch - The patch itself. As with all
patches, it can be tried in the following manner:

wget http://insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.20ALPHA4.tgz
tar zxf nmap-4.20ALPHA4.tgz
cd nmap-4.20ALPHA4
patch -p1 < path/to/nmap-4.20ALPHA4-qscan.patch
./configure
make # or gmake

Comments, interesting results, bugfixes, and suggestions
are, as always, most appreciated!

Best wishes,

Doug