Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap-NSE Release candidate 2

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:57:30 -0700

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:53:16PM +0200, Diman Todorov wrote:
I would like to thank everyone who took the time and had a look at
the new nmap scripting system.  Here comes the new and improved
release candidate 2 of Nmap-NSE.  New features include:

Great work!  It's always nice to see new versions.

I'm glad you remembered to document the new changes, such as the
registry, in the man page.  Sometimes people are so familiar with
their own development and how it works that they forget that users
don't know about all the neat stuff they've developed.  BTW, the man
page still gives me this message up top:

XXX
XXX WARNING: old character encoding and/or character set
XXX

I assume that is related to the translation from DocBook XML format.
Would you include the DocBook XML source in your next release?  Maybe
you could put a comment up top which gives the command(s) you use to
convert it to nroff.

I would love to see this expanded with more details and usage advice
and instructions into something more like the version detection and OS
detection papers:

http://insecure.org/nmap/vscan/
http://insecure.org/nmap/osdetect/

Here are just a couple trivial suggestions for the man page:

o You have sections named "NMAP-NSE SCRIPT STORAGE", "NMAP-NSE
SCRIPTS", and "NMAP-NSE API".  Since this is the Nmap-NSE man page, I
would just call them "Script Storage", "Scripts", and "API".

o The new registry section says "Ever script can read the table".
Should be "Every script".

* NSE scripts can correct the opened/closed state of ports if necessairy

Great.  Hopefully this allows the change of open|filtered ports into
open.  That is the most likely change I can think of.

* Nmap-NSE now comes in the form of windows binaries and a windows
self installer additionally

Fabulous!  Hopefully your efforts in producing Windows binaries will
pay off in terms of people testing and reporting results on that
platform.

Cheers,
Fyodor