Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 4.11 + OpenBSD Kernel PPPOE = strange error

From: Rembrandt <rembrandt () jpberlin de>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:30:41 +0200 (CEST)

thanks and sorry for the late reply.
Is there any roadmap to FIX that?!

It`s NOT documented (at least I didn`t read it anywhere).
The very interestign part is:

-sT works (mostly?! Everytime I tested it it worked..)
-sS does NOT work (Routing issues and foo)

OpenBSD using the pppD (userland) uses the TUN interface (works
perfectly for me). OpenBSD using the kernel pppoe uses the pppoe-Device
(wich is like a normal NIC) and I get these strange errors.

I´m not sure if it deals with the differences between tun and other
devices but even if so: Why does -sT work then?
If it`s a problem then why should -sT work even all others fail (with
the routing problem. -sT option even resolves the DNS perfectly).

I`ve no time (nor the right skills) to debug this but it ould be realy
neat if somebody takes care. One free beer at the german CCC-Congress
for the guy who patches it. :))

Kind regards,
Rembrandt