Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Need help for nmap scan

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:13:23 -0400

Andreas is right, especially if you are scanning from outside the targets LAN.

If you are inside the targets LAN, sniff for DHCP traffic, and perform
traffic analysis. As far as using nmap, both the ARP ping (vendor
code), and OS detection can help identify what routers are on the LAN,
which is likely to be the default gateway.

If you are outside the target LAN, at best, you may be able to tell if
the target is behind a NAT with nmap, but it depends.

Cheers,
  kx