Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 2006 Tool Survey Released - SecTools.Org

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:12:55 -0700

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 04:22:32PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:

Speaking of SecTools.Org, has anyone submitted it to Slashdot?  I
specifically added mirror sites this morning to be sure the site could
handle a traffic flood, but my servers aren't even breaking a sweat
yet!  Also, it would help if people with Digg accounts Digg the story:

Haha, boy was I overconfident!  I got my comeuppance this morning when
I woke up to find SecTools.Org featured on Slashdot, Digg, and the top
of the del.icio.us "most popular" page all at once.  My server was no
match for that onslaught, and the site was just crawling for several
hours.  I have since distributed the load amongst more mirror sites
and everything seems fine now.

Still, thanks to everyone who spread the word about SecTools.  It took
a long time to create (even with a lot of help from Doug), so I'm glad
to see people finding it useful!

Cheers,
-F