Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Output Format Changes (RE: Nmap 4.10 Released for Testing)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:15:06 -0700

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 04:02:15PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:

Don't worry, there aren't any imminent plans to change -oG.  Though
evey you would probably acknowledge that using XML results and
exporting them to a DB might scale better and be easier to query.
Though apparently you have scaled quite well already to ecompass a
scan of half a million machines nightly and store the results in 1.5GB
of flat files.

I meant to finish off this paragraph by noting that there was the port
ordering change (which affects all output formats -- interactive,
grepable, and XML) in 4.10.  But I wouldn't expect this to affect your
scripts much.  Or does it?

In any case, I'm glad to see that Marek has posted a patch which
returns the old behavior.  We'll see how people respond to the issue
and decide which way to have it for the next release.

Cheers,
-F