Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SoC: port state reasons

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:21:34 -0700

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:02:58PM +0200, Eddie Bell wrote:
Only printing IPs that are different from the host being scanned is a great
idea.
Should I attempt to resolve the IP addresses as well? Print a hostname if
available
otherwise just the IP?

That is a good idea.  But I think for now we should stick with the IP.
Because the rDNS name can be misleading -- forward DNS on that
hostname might give a completely different IP.  This can be accidental
or malicious.  Printing both would be ideal, but I don't think we have
room.  So I'd just stick with the IP for now.  Resolution can be slow,
too.

Cheers,
-F