Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: running out of BPF devices

From: rembrandt () jpberlin de
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:16:04 +0200 (CEST)

The only solution wich may helps you is adding more bpf-Devices in /dev.

I pointed out to Okan that if you run out of bpf-Devices (with nmap 3.95,
OpenBSD 3.9) nmap also has a lot other problems even if you just wnana
scan localhost (wont work anymore... some errors..bla).

Updating to 4.03 will fix this (also some mem-leaks but hell what`s going
on... OpenBSD does not updated the nmap-port for 3.9-stable..) but you`ll
still need to add more bpf-Devices. ;-/

If you´re running 3.95 on OpenBSD it will also crash (like 4.03 does) if
you scan multible hosts (class-B nets) with f.e. (on OpenBSD) -T[0,1].
Agressiv-Scan works with 4.03 on my OpenBSD but your nmap does not crash
(my does if I do scanning a lot Class-B nets..but "nobody" maintains
class-B networks..or? *ironic*) it just claims there`s no free bpf-Device.

Running out of bpf-Devices happens if you may have some other programs
running already wich take one/many of the (in OpenBSD 10) bpd-Devices.
F.e. tcpdump should be such a program or running multible nmap-scans at
the same time in background.

So simply adding more bpf-Devices with makedev should solve this problem.

Kind regards,
Rembrandt