Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: One Last Requirements Doc: Hosted Scanner

From: David Warde-Farley <david.warde.farley () utoronto ca>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:26:24 -0400

On 23-May-06, at 10:16 AM, Jones, David H wrote:

"You have a bit of latitude in selecting the language for this system.
Perl, Python, or C would be good choices. PHP is probably not OK."

Just wondering what you have against PHP... :)

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've always found PHP to be
very conducive to sloppy code. Not to mention it's a bit of a
resource hog and not exactly known for its security. They have a
rather cavalier attitude towards things like typesafety that make me
nervous when designing something mission critical.  That's not to say
one cannot write good, rock-solid PHP code. It's just hard. (I'd be
interested as to what Fyodor has against it)

OTOH, I think C would be a terrible choice, for exactly the reasons
Dimian points out. You /can/ write a web application in C, but I
can't think of a good reason to do so, unless you /want/ to have to
audit the living crap out of it. C would give you a speed boost but
the bottleneck here will almost certainly be bandwidth rather than
CPU time. I imagine you'd be calling Nmap externally to do most of
the hard work and that's written in C/C++ anyway.

The only way I'd even consider writing a web app in C is if there
were a preexisting body of web application libraries that had been
audited to hell and back, and even then, I'd feel a little naked not
having a scripting language runtime between me and the user.

My $0.02.

Dave