Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: problems

From: "Sean Warnock" <swarnock () warnocksolutions com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 16:57:15 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org [mailto:nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org] On Behalf Of stas
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:51 AM
To: nmap-dev () insecure org
Subject: problems

Здравствуйте, nmap-dev.

What is -

C:\nmap-4.03>nmap -A -T4 scanme.insecure.org

Starting Nmap 4.03 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2006-05-07 00:47 LЁры№ёъюх тЁхь  (ыхЄю)
nexthost: Failed to determine dst MAC address for target 205.217.153.62
QUITTING!

I have XP_SP2, help me pleas!

--
С уважением,
 stas                          mailto:opriori () mail ru

I don't know if this will help much but here goes.  I have been dealing with this bug since about nmap 3.7x.  I finally
pinned it down to an issue with my network card driver on my laptop.  I can unreliably recreate the issue on an Intel
801.11ABG chipset (2915 chipset).  Current drivers from Intel (v9.0.4.13) on Windows XP SP2 seem to repair the issue
but I'm not convinced yet.
I spent a little bit of time with nmap's source and found that for some reason nmap is trying to perform and ARP on a
non-local subnet when this error occurs.  I have no idea why as the route tables were clean.  When the issue occurred I
was unable to scan anything outside of my local subnet.

Sean